Our History

A Short History of the Kirk in Monifieth

The history of the Kirk in Monifieth stretches back to the introduction of Christianity in Scotland, through the Reformation and the Establishment of the Church of Scotland, the Disruption of 1843 and the unification of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church in 1929.

At the Reformation, St Rule's was amongst the first churches to become 'Reformed'; the first minister was Gilbert Gardyne.  The original church building was demolished in 1812, to be replaced by the present building.

The Disruption prompted dissension and the dissenters of Monifieth are noteworthy. The minister and many of his congregation joined the Free Church and established the Monifieth North Free Church at Kingennie in 1869, then built the Monifieth South Free Church in 1872.

In 1898 the United Presbyterians established a Preaching Station in Monifieth, thus forming a third Presbyterian church in Monifieth. By 1936 the new Panmure Church of Scotland, entirely financed by the congregation, had opened its doors.

In the second half of the 20th Century, it was recognised there would be advantages in a union of the three congregations (St Rule’s, South and Panmure) and in 2002 a Joint Strategic Committee was set up to consider how best to progress towards this.  In 2006, an overwhelming majority of members of the three churches voted in favour of union and on Sunday 25th May 2008, a Service of Union was held to inaugurate the new charge of Monifieth Parish Church of Scotland.

On 6th May 2009 the Rev. Dorothy Anderson was inducted to the charge and joined the Ministry Team comprising of the Rev. Donald Fraser, formerly of Monifieth South and the Rev. David Jamieson, formerly of Panmure.

Donald retired in 2010, after a remarkable 51 years’ tenure in Monifieth and David retired the following year, after 37 years of faithful ministry.   Dorothy move to Dunblane Cathedral in 2017.

In January 2018, Rev. Fiona Reynolds was ordained into tha Parish.

After a long process of planning and fundraising, Monifieth Parish Church settled into its new home on the High Street.  To mark the continuity of Christian worship in Monifieth, on Sunday 8th September the congregation met in the St Rule's Building at 10.00 am. A short act of worship preceded a walk to the New Building, where a Service of Dedication was conducted by the Rev. Fiona Reynolds and the Right Rev. Colin Sinclair, Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, preached.  A buffet lunch and refreshments was then enjoyed by all present. 


This website is powered by Church Edit | Privacy Notice